Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Review - Manor of Secrets by Katherine Longshore

Manor of SecretsTitle: Manor of Secrets
Author: Katherine Longshore
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 320
Published: January 28th 2014 by Point 
ISBN: 9780545567589
Source: Publisher via Netgalley





Description: The year is 1911. And at The Manor, nothing is as it seems . . .Lady Charlotte Edmonds: Beautiful, wealthy, and sheltered, Charlotte feels suffocated by the strictures of upper-crust society. She longs to see the world beyond The Manor, to seek out high adventure. And most of all, romance. Janie Seward: Fiery, hardworking, and clever, Janie knows she can be more than just a kitchen maid. But she isn't sure she possesses the courage -- or the means -- to break free and follow her passions. Both Charlotte and Janie are ready for change. As their paths overlap in the gilded hallways and dark corridors of The Manor, rules are broken and secrets are revealed. Secrets that will alter the course of their lives. . . forever.

First Line: Charlotte Edmonds stood on the patio and looked out across the wide expanse of lawn. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket
 
For the most part I like my historical fiction to be accurate and true to details.  But, occasionally I like one that may be a little bit more modern.  I want the intrigue and setting, but I want it to be fun.  That's what this was.

I always love it when a Victoria young lady wants to buck the normal.  I think it's because I imagine that I would do the same.   So Lady Charlotte really struck a cord with me.  She doesn't want to be sold away to the highest bidder in a lackluster marriage.  She wants to see the world and embrace all it has to offer.  It's not wonder that she latches on to her wayward aunt (one who seems to be wrapped in some sort of scandal), when she suddenly comes to visit.  She also seems to not care about position and rank, something I imagine is very hard to overcome.

I wasn't as fond of Janie, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.   I just didn't connect with her as much.  I found it interesting that I found her more cynical and condescending than Charlotte.  I'm sure her circumstances have lead to her attitude, but I think her eyes were really opened when Charlotte decided to enlist her help.

As for the manor secrets...really they're pretty obvious.  I don't think the author was really trying to hide them.  If you've read this type of story at all, you probably have idea of what's coming.  I found the way the author presented the events to fit the story.

I enjoy Katherine Longshore's work so far.  I need to catch up on her other series!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails