Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review - The Love Dare for Parents by Stephen Kendrick & Alex Kendrick

The Love Dare for ParentsTitle: The Love Dare for Parents
Author: Stephen Kendrick & Alex Kendrick
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 256
Published: July 1st 2013 by B&H Books 
ISBN:  9781433668524
Source: Publisher via Netgalley




Description: From the authors of international best-selling marriage book The Love Dare comes The Love Dare for Parents, a 40-day journey of “dares” challenging one or both parents to understand, practice, and communicate Christ-like love to their children. Easy to read and work into a busy schedule, The Love Dare for Parents is designed to “turn the hearts of parents to their children and turn the hearts of children to their parents” (Malachi 4:6) so that moms and dads can more fully enjoy and delight in their children while maximizing the positive impact they have on their lives long term.Each day brings a promising key verse from Scripture, a biblical principle about love that applies to parenting, a specific challenge the parent does for the sake of their child, and space to journal thoughts and reflect on what happened that day. The Love Dare for Parents even includes access to a FREE online parenting assessment, helpfully keyed to select material in the book. Parents, take the dare! 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I have to be honest and say that I didn't put much thought into The Love Dare for Couples.  Maybe at the time I glanced through it I felt like it didn't apply to us.  But, I was curious about this one.  So, I requested it.

Even if you don't have a close (or any) relationship with God, there is some great advice in this book.  Each day describes a way to offer a better relationship with your child.  Simple things that I think many people take for granted or think they are doing.   It talks about showing patience, not being selfish, becoming a person they know they can turn to.  I feel like I have a great relationship with my children, but I liked how this book taught me how I could be better.   I want to have the best relationship possible with them, and I want to feel like I am helping them become the best person they can be.

I liked how each day had a challenge.   While, I didn't actively participate in all of the challenges, I admired what the book was pushing you to do.  I feel that it could be tailored to each individual family (even those who don't believe could take this book and use it).   I also really enjoyed the appendixes.  There are some great tips and really pull together the rest of the book.

I'm glad I read this and will be working on implementing some of the things into our lives!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails