Friday, August 23, 2013

Review - The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2) by Rae Carson

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)Title: The Crown of Embers
Author: Rae Carson
Series: 2nd (The Girl of Fire and Thorns)
Pages: 410
Published: September 18th 2012 by Greenwillow Books 
ISBN: 9780062026514
Source: Personal Copy




Description: Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket

Why, oh why, do I let books sit on my shelf for so long.  I should have read this long ago.  It was everything the first book was and possibly more!  

I love that Elisa was so bad ass in the first book, but now she has no idea what to do.  It's not that she doesn't have the capability to do great things.  She just recognizes that she's only 17 and some of the higher-ups don't trust her.  And some will do anything to get her off the throne.  She doesn't have complete control of her own kingdom.  But, in all reality, she needs to decide how bad she wants to be in control.  I think there are times she realizes how easy it would be to hand over the reigns.

I'm glad she doesn't do it (not the I ever expected her too).   Elisa shows tremendous strength when she needs to.  She steps above those who try to exert their power. I also admired what she did with the kitchen staff when an attempt at poison was made.  She's not a scared little girl any more.  I enjoyed her journey through her own kingdom and into the boundary areas.  She takes risks to keep her hold on the throne.  

I loved the romance in this installment.  Elisa is pushed to picking a husband, but she finds herself completely enthralled by Hector.   And it's not hard to understand why.  He's always there when she needs him and seems to understand her ways that no one else can.  But their positions made me wonder if a relationship was even possible.  Turns out Hector is hidings some secrets that might make him the perfect candidate!  I did enjoy the addition of one of her suitors Tristan.  

The story had it all for me, enough that debated giving it a 5 ratings.  But, I will keep it at a 4 because it was a little slows in parts.  And at times I wanted Elisa to make up her mind and get to it.  But, I loved it by the end.  Good thing The Bitter Kingdom is already for me to read with no waiting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails