Friday, July 19, 2013

Early Review - Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy #5) by Jennifer Estep

Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)Title: Midnight Frost
Author:  Jennifer Estep
Series: 5th (Touch of Frost, Kiss of Frost, Dark Frost, Crimson Frost)
Pages: 400
Published: July 30th 2013 by K-Teen 
ISBN: 9780758281494
Source: Publisher via Netgalley






 Description: Here we go again … Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead.  As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there … 

 I Give This ...
Photobucket

This was a fast paced read.  It didn't take long for Chaos to rule.    I was slightly concerned that we wouldn't get much forward progress with this book.  But, I was wrong.

Gwen is really accepting that she is Nike's Champion.  She's kind of waiver back and worth on this front, but she kicks ass this time around.  She gathers all the information when Nickamedes is poisoned and is able to identify what was possibly used.  Turns out the antidote is from a rare flower that only grows in one place.  And it has to be picked at midnight...during a full moon.

Sure they know it's a trap, but they have no choice.  They head to the ruins in Colorado.  Interestingly enough here is were she learns about her dad's family.  There's a lot of history there and I'm not sure how it's managed to not come to light until now.  It helps that Gwen goes by her Mother's name and not her father's.   It make for some interesting reading and seems to make things infinitely more complicated. 

I was surprised when the trap wasn't set right away.  Turns out the Reapers want Gwen and her friends to do their dirty work.  They want the flower for other reasons, but they can't get it on their own.  I really thought this time they might really interfere with the outcome (because beloved characters do occasionally die), but Logan appears at the right time.  I knew he would from reading the short story in between.  But, I honestly wondered when he would get there.

There's a particularly interesting section of the book for me.   Logan and Gwen must take the long way down the mountain and in a snow storm no less.  When it's discovered that Logan is seriously injured, I wondered how they were going to get off that mountain.  The gryphons come to help in the most unexpected way.   This connection leads another Goddess to offer her help to Gwen.  She offers something that might help defeat Loki in the end.

I really liked this story.  But then again, I've enjoyed this series as a whole.   I look forward to the next in the series.  I do hope it doesn't stretch out to much longer though.



1 comment:

  1. I haven't read your review yet ('cause I'm currently reading this one), but I'll come back and read it. Glad it got 4-stars. I'm only about 50 pages through and it's just as good as the last. Hoping Logan makes a return soon. I miss him (even if I did read the novella) :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails