Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Review - The Rules (Project Paper Doll #1) by Stacey Kade

The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)Title: The Rules
Author: Stacey Kade
Series: 1st
Pages: 416
Published: April 23rd 2013 by Disney-Hyperion 
ISBN: 9781423153283
Source: Publisher via Netgalley










Description: 1. Never trust anyone.  2. Remember they are always searching.  3. Don’t get involved.  4. Keep your head down.  5. Don’t fall in love.   Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”    But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules… 


I Give This ...   
Photobucket 

I really don't tend to gravitate towards books concerning aliens.  It's just a subject matter that doesn't interest me very much.  But I like Stacey Kade's previous series, and the idea of an alien that is more human than anything kind of intrigued me.  So, I thought I would give this one a try.

It didn't take me long to like Ariane.  She's trying so hard to go unnoticed that you can tell its starting to get to her.   I don't think its because she wants to stand out really, but more she feels the rules are starting to attract more attention to her than they have ever done before.  But, in her desire to prove that she can be there for her one and only friend, she attracts the kind of attention that she's been trying to avoid since she escaped the lab.  It's hard not to when that person is the Queen Bee at school and use to getting exactly what she wants.  The even bigger problem is that her grandfather ruins the very lab Ariane escaped from.

I like Zane too.  I think everyone (especially teens) love the idea that that those "it" kids at school may one day descend from their cloud and realize being on top isn't all its cracked up to be.  That they might notice the girl next door and maybe help her bring down said Queen Bee.   The budding romance between the two is really just icing on the cake.


The story ironically has a very "Carrie" feel to it.  So far that the iconic book (or movie if you will) even mentions the story.   I kept hoping that Zane wouldn't turn out to be the bad guy in the book.   But, it turns out to be the person I least expected.  It wasn't really a big surprise though when I sat and thought about it.   

I was pleased by this book so I will definitely be reading the next one!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails