Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review - My Turn to Fail You by Luc Hawthorne

My Turn to Fail YouTitle: My Turn to Fail You
Author: Luc Hawthorne
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 354
Published: January 12th 2013 by Smashwords 
ISBN: 9781301186181
Source: Exchange for honest review






Description: A modern, steamy love story set on the Michigan lakeshore. As autumn turns to winter, two couples – one lucky and one not – will fight buried secrets and try to keep their relationships together. As tragedy unfolds, the story becomes a sexy train wreck that you’re not going to want to put down.

 I Give This ...
   Photobucket

I always hesitate to to review family of friends books.  It's one of those lines that can be uncomfortable to cross.  I decided to accept this one despite that fact, and despite the fact that I don't normally read modern romance.   It turned out quite a bit better than I thought.

First off, I'm not really sure I would consider this a romance.  Sure, there are some romantic moments.  And there's definitely some steamy sex.  But, it's really more about the dysfunctions of  2 couples and how the rise and fall together.  They are far more intertwined than I could possibly have imagined when the story began. 

Our first couple is Emma and Sean and is basically the reunion of the love that got away.  Or is it?  As quickly as they fall back into things (or maybe its just back into bed), there are some deeply rooted issues that I wondered if they would be able to truly forgive each other for.   I can't deny the connection that they share.  There was something there in the beginning and it was not normal circumstances that drove them apart.  But, sometimes the space between is just to wide to bridge.  

Our next couple is Kevin and Lucy.  I actually thought this was a good example for Sean and Emma in the beginning.  But, it turns out that sometimes 2 couples can't co-exist in the same space for very long without fireworks.  And it's not always in a good way.  I was a little surprised at the actions both couples were willing to take.  It was like all allegiances to their partners and to each other were void.
But, it just went to show how dysfunctional they were.  

There were 2 aspects that kind of put a kink in the story for me.  The major event that lead to Sean and Emma's initial break-up was a little hard for me to stomach.  I know it happens in the real world.  It's just not something I like to read about.  Second, there's a child that figure pretty prominently in the story.   I did not believe Meghan's actions when she found out her true parentage. 

Overall, a good story that I'm willing to give a 4 rating too.   Warning on some of the graphic content.  And, I'm not sure the resolution was completely happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails