Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Review - Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin #2) by R.L. LaFevers

Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)Title: Dark Triumph
Author: R.L. LaFevers
Series: 2nd (Grave Mercy)
Pages: 385
Published: April 2nd 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children 
ISBN: 9780547628387
Source: Around the World Tours







Description: Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. Naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, the convent views Sybella as one of their most dangerous weapons.  But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father’s rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother’s love is equally monstrous. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for? 




I Give This ...

   Photobucket


I actually kind of waiver on this one.  The idea of assassins who are nuns was just awesome.  But, I felt the first book in the series was a little too much romance and not enough on the assassination front (put into those words, it sounds horrible.).  I wanted to give it another shot.

First off, I do not know how the hell I managed to read almost half the book before I realized the narrative was a different person than the first time around.  Considering they are shockingly different, I'm not sure how I manged that.

This narrative is what I was looking for.   Maybe it's because the subtle art of poisoning was much less exciting that Sybella's skillful knowledge of weaponry and just how to get close enough to kill.  Her background was excruciating to read about.  So many people would have just crumbled after the things that she has been through.  Instead they have made Sybella tough as nails.   She has a hard exterior, but I really felt for her as well.  The author managed to portray her fear just right.  She was walking a fine line.   

The events inside her father's castle are fast paced.  I  never knew if she was going to mange to get out of there alive and how she was going to do it.  When she helps the prisoner escape and accidentally ends up going with him, there is no turning back.  It's a good thing to because the prisoner is by no means able to reach safety on his own.  And Sybella has to much powerful information to share.

I loved Sybella so much more than Ismae.   And along the way I've come to really appreciate most of the rest of the characters.  I still have a hard time grasping the idea that the duchess is as young as she is.  I do have to say that I'm beginning to really dislike the Mother Abbess.  She's up to something, and I can't quit grasp what is.  I wanted to reach through the pages and really hurt her at the end of this book.

Really excited for book 3 now!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails