Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review - The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee

The UnquietTitle: The Unquiet
Author: Jeannine Garsee
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 388
Published: July 17th 2012 by Bloomsbury 
ISBN: 9781599907239
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
 







Description: When Rinn Jacobs moves to a new town she hopes it will be a fresh start—a place where nobody knows about her past. At first, everything goes according to plan. She falls in with the popular girls at her new school and falls for the very cute boy-next-door Nate. But River Hills High School has a secret. The ghost of a girl who died back when Rinn’s mom was a student supposedly haunts a hallway. Rinn’s not sure she believes it, but when strange things start happening to her friends, Rinn decides there’s only one way to know for sure. She needs to ditch her bipolar meds and see what the voices are really trying to say…

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I admit, I added this to my to read list with very little thought.  The cover seemed cool and the description was just enough to peek my interest.  I was thrilled when I was approved for review through Netgalley.

I wish I had read this sooner!  I was nothing like I expected.  Rinn is unlike any other lead character I've had the pleasure reading about.  For lack of a polite term, she's crazy.  As the book opens, we learn she's bipolar and currently heavily medicated.  We know something really bad happened previously and she needs a fresh start (and maybe a little bit of space).  I was completely engrossed in learning her story.  From her hallucinations to the role she really played in her grandmother's death.  


The psychology background in me honestly loved watching her as she went off her meds.  Her bipolar cycle was spot on.  Her lack of sleep, manic talking, and loss of time was just awesome.  I loved when her mother came in and she has torn a giant hole in the wall and hadn't realized it.  I think getting a first hand looks and what happened when she was off her medication showed how things spiraled out of control the first time.  It did an excellent job of showing both the manic episode along with the depressive episode.

I like a good ghost story as well.  This was one was crafted very nicely.  A ghost who haunts a specific hallway and pool.  I thought it was intriguing that those who had some sort of psychiatric medication could not see or hear the ghost.  I also liked the connection between Rinn, her mother, and the ghost.  It might have been convenient, but it worked with the story really well.  


I was really impressed with this book.  I will be looking for this author again!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails