Friday, July 27, 2012

EARLY REVIEW - Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles #1) by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)Title: Poison Princess
Author: Kresley Cole
Series: 1st
Pages: 384
Published: October 2nd 2012 by Simon & Schuster 
ISBN: 9781442436640
Source:  Around The World Tours







Description: Sixteen-year-old Evie Greene thought her horrific apocalyptic hallucinations were a sign that she was slowly losing her mind. But when her visions come true, decimating the world around her and killing everyone she loves, Evie is forced to accept that she was seeing the future.  Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she turns to wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate, the gorgeous and dangerous Jackson Deveaux for help. As Jackson and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have got the same call and discover that Evie is not the only one with special powers. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and as the battle between good and evil intensifies, it is not always clear who is on which side…


I Give This ...
Photobucket

I was really looking forward to this book.  The cover caught me and the description reeled me in.  I'm always excited at the chance to read a book early, so I had high hoped for this one.

I think my main problem was this book is that half of it is completely unnecessary.  I can usually understand the back story when it has a purpose.  I "think" the purpose is to introduce us to Jackson and why he is such as unlikely character for Evie to team up with.  But, I just don't think we needed as much as we got.  When Evie's telling her story, she insists that she start at the beginning.  I think she went beyond that.  I almost decided to put the book down.  In honesty, I'm really glad I didn't.  The story gets significantly better after the apocalyptic event and when Jackson comes back to rescue Evie.

When Evie is forced to leave her home and face the unknown, we learn that the voices she been hearing all her life are actually real people.  And they are all special in more ways than one.  They are all directly connect to the tarot cards her grandmother religiously tried to teach her as a child.  I don't know much about Tarot cards, so I found this subject to be extremely fascinating.  We only meet 4 of the tarot's in this book, but that fact alone will drive me to read the rest of the series.  We also know about Death even though we never actually meet him.  I found grandma's prophecy about what Evie must do to be interesting.  Especially since some of these people representing the tarot's are going to end up being friends.

I liked Evie and Jackson a lot.  Their chemistry is really interesting.  Evie is the good girl.  She's miss popular, head cheerleader, you know the drill.  Jackson is the bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks.  It's completely stereotyped, but it really worked for these two.   I never disliked either one of them (will maybe Evie a little when she refused to leave the farm when Jackson came to tell her what was coming).

The tarot card aspect saved the story for me.  I don't think I've ever read about it in literature this way.  I've seen it mentioned when people go have their cards read, etc.  But, this was great.  Now that the beginning of the story has been told, I'm hoping the rest of the series will be much more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails