Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review - Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)Title: Deamless
Author: Josephine Angelini
Pages: 487
Series: 2nd (Starcrossed)
Published: May 29th 2012 by HarperTeen 
ISBN:  9780062012012
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss






Description: Can true love be forgotten?  As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.  Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.  As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.


I Give This ...
Photobucket

It seems the first book was either a love it or hate it kind of thing.  Since, I liked it a lot I was eagerly awaiting the next installment.  I kept my hopes in check because that second novel can be brutal.   While it had it's downfall moments, for the most part I really enjoyed this book.

Helen is a really unique lead character for this book.  And it's no wonder because she travels literally into Hell every night.  Would you be a bundle of joy the next day?  Add to it that she no longer has Lucas by her side.  I sometimes wondered if the story was going to follow this pit of despair storyline for the entire book, and if I could take it.  But, Helen is resilient and determined.  She may wander Hell every night, but she's also got some help to get her on the right path.

Lucas...he's trying so hard to do what everyone is telling him and fight his feelings for Helen.  It's obviously not working.  His actions are in hopes that Helen will hate him and that it's turning him into something else.  Even when he caves and finds a way to help Helen in Hell, it's too late to reverse the damage done to him.  I do admire him for going to any length to help Helene despite what others are telling him.  I have a hard time with the idea that they can't be together.  I get that they're cousins, and from different houses.  But, it's Helen and Paris and that's got to count for something.

I liked the introduction of Orion.  At first, I really wasn't sure if we could trust him.  He just pops in out of nowhere.  No one knows anything about him.  I couldn't help but think that he might get Helen in a situation she didn't want to be in.  I was happy to be proven wrong on all accounts.  He helps her figure out what she needs to do and pushed her to get it done.

I think my favorite part of of this book is the story development.  I loved how Hell is laid out for us.  By Helen wandering so much, we get a great view of how it works.  I liked how the Fates needed to drink from one of the rivers.  I loved how Persephone was persuaded to help.  I liked the brief meeting we get with Hades.  I liked the dream god (I can't remember his name).  I really loved how the minor gods get a little bit of action in this story.  I was wondering why everyone was acting so crazy, turns out gods have a major play in that.  Especially when Chaos and Terror show up.

It's long, and it does drag on in a few parts.  But, I really enjoyed this installment in the series.  I'll eagerly await the next one. 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love books that revolve around mythology, so I knew I needed to read Dreamless. I really enjoyed Starcrossed last year when I borrowed it from a friend, even though it wasn't the best book I had ever read. I was so looking forward to seeing how the story would progress and I felt like it took forever for me to get my grubby little hands on a copy of Dreamless. It was definitely one of most highly anticipated novels so far this year, so I was hoping that it wouldn't let me down or fall into the dreaded sophomore slump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great sequel book with lots of unexpected twists and turns. Can't wait to read the next book. Would recommend this series to people in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails