Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review - A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

A Temptation of AngelsTitle: A Temptation of Angels
Author: Michelle Zink
Series:  I hope!
Pages: 400
Published: March 20th 2012 by Dial Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 9780803737266
Source: Around The World Tours







Description: When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel. 

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

I've only read the first in Michelle's previous series.  But, since I enjoyed it, I was willing to give this one a shot.  I didn't set my expectation too high, because I often feel the angel books fall short of their marks.  I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this book.

I found Helen to be an interesting character.  She knows nothing of who she really is.  Everything that has been taught to her has been secretly done.  Her father tried to teach her skills by turning them into games.  I liked learning about the games he use to play with such as finding the two quickest exits out of places and how to go unnoticed in a group.  When it came time to use these skills, I think she was surprised at how much she remembered.  I admired how much she kept her head despite all she has gone through.  I also liked that she didn't readily believe what everybody told her.  It sometimes feels like characters are willing to accept that paranormal without batting an eye.  

The brother's Quinn and Darius rounded out the story nicely.   I had a feeling one of them would turn out to be a love interest and I really enjoyed the tension between them.  I also liked how the other brother liked to call their feelings out.  I'm not sure what he's deal is exactly.  I get the sense there might be more to that story as well.  I also liked how there's almost a love triangle.  It played a pivotal role in the story, but not how one might think.  And, I loved how Helen made a definite choice!

I actually enjoyed the mythology behind the angels, the decedents, and their demon counterparts.  It's explained enough that you understand what's going on.  But, I also liked that there's plenty of room for more books.  I don't think we've learned enough about the Dictata.  I'm also curious to see what the descendents actual duties might be.  Most of this book is about finding who is hunting them and putting everything right.

The book also has a very Victorian feel to it.  But, it also has some modern tendencies. I found that I enjoyed it very much!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous you got to read this already. I loved the trilogy, the first and last book were my favourites.

    I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails