Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone

I've been meaning to participate in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish for awhile now.  If your curious about this meme, visit Top Ten Tuesday where they have previous topics and upcoming topics listed as well.

This weeks topic is:

Ten Books That I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone

Twilight (Twilight, #1)1. Twilight by Stephenie Meyers - This really was out of my comfort zone when I initially read it.  I stuck to mystery/thrillers for the most part.  But, I kept picking up the book at the store and never bought it.  When the movie trailers came out, I wanted it now!  The rest is history.

2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. Rowling - I was dragged to this movie back in what 2001.  My roommate at the time was in love with the books but I had never heard of them.  I really had no desire to see the movie (it seemed so childish).  Needless to say, I asked for the first 4 for Christmas that year!

3. The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz - I read this at the recommendation of a friend.  Way out of my comfort zone.  Turned out the was a reason why.  I didn't really like it.  Which was a disappointment because said friend has never given me a bad recommendation.


Outlander (Outlander, #1)4. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - When I first started to step out of my comfort zone, I did a couple challenges.  Finding a best seller that was not one of my "typical" books was hard.  I settled on this one even though I don't do romance (very often) and the size scared the hell out of me.  I was hooked.


5. Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean - I mentioned I don't read romances...but this one kept popping up with rave reviews.  I gave it a shot and loved it!   Makes me rethink my romance stance!

6. Dead Until Dark - I was never into paranormal (urban fantasy).  But thought I would give it a try based on my thoughts on other books.  Turns out I was missing a great genre.

House of Leaves7. House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski -  The premise of this book was fascinating and unlike anything I've ever read or will read again.  It was really worth the time I put into reading it.

8. The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall -  A recommendation based on my enjoyment of the House of Leaves.  I guess I just didn't get this one as much.  I was really confused in the end.

9. Left Behind by Tim LaHaye - I have no idea why I read these books.  I think it was because we did a study on the book of Revelation in high school.  I devoured most of this series.  Some of it botheres me, some of it I find really interesting.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty 10. The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty -  I'm sure these are outside of MOST peoples comfort zones.  I heard about these somehow and admit I was intrigued.  I knew that they were erotica, but I think these need a big warning than that.  I liked them overall, but had some of it was just so over the top.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard some good things about Nine Rules to Break! It seems like one that would be great to try if you're just starting to branch out into the historical romance genre.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails