Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: Luminous by Dawn Metcalf

LuminousTitle: Luminous
Author: Dawn Metcalf
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 304
Published: Available now from Dutton
ISBN: 9780525422471
Source: Teen Book Scene Arranged Tour







Description: As reality slips and time stands still, Consuela finds herself thrust into the world of the Flow. Removed from all she loves into this shifting world overlapping our own, Consuela quickly discovers she has the power to step out of her earthly skin and cloak herself in new ones-skins made from the world around her, crafted from water, fire, air. She is joined by other teens with extraordinary abilities, bound together to safeguard a world they can affect, but where they no longer belong. When murder threatens to undo the Flow, the Watcher charges Consuela and elusive, attractive V to stop the killer. But the psychopath who threatens her new world may also hold the only key to Consuela's way home.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

This was interesting.  It's a story that in all honesty is really hard to grasp.  This might sound odd but it sort of reminds of a twisted dream that the author has somehow been able to capture into words.

Consuela can upzip her skin and have her skeleton step out of it.  A thought that really disturbed me, but really no odder than any of the other talents in the Flow.  V can step through mirrored surfaces, Tender eats pain, etc.  All of their gifts help them save the lives of people on earth.  People who have the greatest capacity to effect the most amount of people in their lifetime.  Which I understood the purpose, just seemed to contradict the idea that when it's your time, well it's your time.  

While I finally began to understand the idea of what these people in the flow could do, I never really cared about them.  To many of them are killed off before you even get a chance to know them.   I wasn't sure what to think of V.  Sometimes it felt like his character we thrown in there to give the story a twist and to give Consuela a love interest.  As for our main character Consuela, I liked her for the most part.  I think my favorite character was Tender.  I really enjoyed his backstory and his place in the flow.

The story was just really hard to get into.  I often felt like it was a metaphor for something and I just wasn't getting it.  An interesting idea though.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree,it was hard to get into and it couldn't keep my attention

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails