Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Imaginary GirlsTitle: Imaginary Girls
Author: Nova Ren Suma
Series: Stand Alone
Pages: 352
Published: Available now from Dutton Juvenile
ISBN: 9780525423386
Source: Publisher via Netgalley








Description: Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

I Give This ...
 Photobucket

In all reality, this book is really hard to describe and review.  It's so much more than the description.  At the end I was really left with no true idea of my thoughts on the book.  I felt like it didn't have an adequate ending.  I could get a firm grasp on what really happened.

My biggest issue involved Ruby.  I just couldn't wrap my mind around what she really was.  She had such a control over the entire town.  She could bend people to her will even when what she wanted was completely asinine.  She really wasn't very nice either.  Her actions really held a violent tone to them.  Was she a witch, human with odd powers, or did she sell her soul to the devil himself?  I really couldn't tell.  And the ending left me with very few answers.

I also got a weird feeling from Chloe and Ruby's relationship.  It was more than step-sister/best friends.  Chloe often seemed overly devoted to Ruby, although completely blind to her faults.  Ruby, on the other hand, seemed almost sinister at times.  I often wondered if Ruby really hated Chloe.  I was reminded of the movie The Good Son many times.  

I did like Chloe for most of the book.  I understood her decision to return home after two years away.  I also was happy to see that she no longer sees Ruby the same way she use to.  She's grown up quite a bit, and really begins to question Ruby and her hold on people.  She especially begins to question the events that led to the death of London.  

I was most disappointed in the ending.  With such an intricate chain of events, I was expecting more answers.  Instead, I'm left wondering if there will be a sequel.  And do I want to read it?


1 comment:

  1. Sorry that you were torn on this one. I was really interested for a while, but then I started hearing more and more confusion and people started talking about how it kinda of isn't really actually contemporary... That there is something... more going on, and after that, I kind of lost interest. Sorry you didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails