Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane #2) by Jaye Wells

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)Title: The Mage in Black
Author: Jaye Wells
Series: 2nd in Sabina Kane
Pages: 326
Published: Available now from Orbit
ISBN: 9781841497570
Source: Personal copy






Description: Sabina Kane doesn't have the best track record when it comes to family. After all, her own grandmother, leader of the vampire race, wants her dead. So when she arrives in New York to meet her mage relatives, the reunion puts the fun in dysfunctional. Not only is mage culture completely bizarre, but everyone seems to think she's some kind of 'Chosen' who'll unite the dark races. Sabina doesn't care who chose her, she's not into destiny. But the mages aren't Sabina's only problem. In New York's Black Light District, she has run-ins with fighting demons, hostile werewolves and an opportunistic old flame. Sabina thought she'd take a bite out of the Big Apple - but it looks like it wants to bite back.

I Give This ...
  Photobucket

I have to be honest that I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this series.  Adult paranormal tends to be hit or miss with me, but this series has really surprised me.

I love that Sabina is so unsure of herself during this book.  Who wouldn't be when the only living family you thought you had wants you dead.  Add in a twin sister you never knew you had, who was brought up by the very race you were raised to hate.  I think it makes for some interesting dynamics in our lead character.  I love her back and forth relationship with Adam.  It's very real to me.  I LOVE her demon, Giguhl.  He is pretty much the perfect sidekick.

I liked the direction the story takes.   Maisie was an interesting addition to the cast of characters.  She seems to be the complete opposite of Sabina.  I enjoyed the magic lessons.  I particularly enjoyed the demon fighting rings and the scenes with Slade.  I still like Adam more, but Slade cause Sabina to react in some very emotional ways.

There wasn't a lot of interaction with the vampires with this one.  Which was ok because we get tension with werewolves, descent within the mages, and some interesting scenes with the fairies.  I really liked this book and can't wait to dig into Green-Eyed Demon.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails