Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1) by Darren Shan

A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1)Title: A Living Nightmare
Author: Darren Shan
Series: 1st in Cirque Du Freak
Published: April 2004 by Little Brown
Pages: 272
ISBN: 9780316905718
Source: Library




Description: In the tradition of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, Cirque Du Freak is the frightening saga of a young boy whose visit to a mysterious freak show leads him on a journey into a dark world of vampires. Filled with grotesque creatures, murderous vampires, and a petrifying ending, Cirque Du Freak will chill, thrill, and leave readers begging for more. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket 

Honestly, there's nothing really wrong with this book.  I think it's just one of those that might not cross over to the adult population as well as others.  I really do think it's perfect for pre-teen boys.  The voice is perfect, and I think that age range will really identify with the characters.  And it's just grotesque enough that I think boys will love it, but parents won't object.  The interactions with the spider were enough for me (my mother's is terrified of spiders, so I'm not to overly fond of them).  I liked the Freak Show.  It was just so over the top but seemed to fit right in with what I know about them.  Plus, I think it gives the book just enough horror without actually being really scary.  The events after the show are actually pretty fast paced and interesting.  The story is just a little simple for my taste.  I think I might recommend it to my 9 year old cousin when he's a little older.  I think he might like it!  I'm not sure about the rest of the series.  Maybe occasionally if the the library has them.


 

1 comment:

  1. I read this with my son when he was in 7th Grade and we both loved it. I want to go back and reread this series by myself. I kind of equated it to Stephen King for young people.....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails