Saturday, June 26, 2010

Never Let You Go by Erin Healy

Never Let You GoTitle: Never Let You Go
Author: Erin Healy
Published: May 2010 by Thomas Nelson
Pages: 320
ISBN: 9781595547507
Source: Copy sent by Publisher for honest review






Description:   Lexi lives in the shadow of choices her husband made. Especially Grant's choice to leave seven years ago, without a word. Her relationship with their daughter, Molly, is now the most important thing in her life. Lexi will do anything-work grueling hours, attend church on her only day off, sacrifice financially-just to see Molly smile.  When Grant shows up declaring his intent to re-enter their daughter's life, Lexi is skeptical of his motives. She soon determines not to let him near Molly. Then a drug dealer named Warden arrives on Lexi's doorstep, demanding payment of Grant's old debts.  But that's just the earthly perspective. Staggering supernatural events are spilling into her world in real and shocking ways. Hell's fury is great, but Heaven's power is greater still. In a novel that defies easy categorization, this has all the early buzz of the breakthrough read of 2010.

I Give This ...
Photobucket 

I've seen this labeled Christian fiction.  I found it odd that just because a book quotes scripture, talks about good versus evil, and basic principles of faith and hope, it's labeled as christian fiction.  But, that mentioned, I'm not sure what to think of this book.  I felt sorry for Lexi.  No matter what she did it seemed life was determined to keep her down.  It was almost depressing to listen to.  Even the ending didn't feel really uplifting.  Yes, good triumphed, but it didn't seem like much of a victory.  The circumstances that lead to the events in this book were kind of horrific.  Drug use, an affair, and murder do not make for a very happy opening sequence.  I had the most difficulty with Warden.  I wasn't sure if he was always the character that appears in this story.  It didn't seem to mesh with the back story Lexi gives of the Warden she knew in the past.  So, I feel like I'm missing part of the story.  The ending happened way to fast and felt very cliche.
Overall this was just an interesting read.  I probably will look for something else by this author.  I think she has an interesting premise in this one, it just fell a little short of it's mark for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, that's too bad that it had a quick & cliche ending...thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails