Friday, May 28, 2010

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

The Devil Wears Prada: Movie Tie-InTitle: The Devils Wears Prada
Author: Lauren Weisberger
Published: May 2006 by Broadway
Pages: 368
ISBN: 9780767925952
Source: Library







Description: Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of Runway magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts Prada! Armani! Versace! at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child.  Andrea is sorely tested each and every day—and often late into the night with orders barked over the phone. She puts up with it all by keeping her eyes on the prize: a recommendation from Miranda that will get Andrea a top job at any magazine of her choosing. As things escalate from the merely unacceptable to the downright outrageous, however, Andrea begins to realize that the job a million girls would die for may just kill her. And even if she survives, she has to decide whether or not the job is worth the price of her soul. 

I Give This ...
Photobucket


I have to admit that if I had read this before I had seen the movie I probably would have liked it a lot more.  The book doesn't seem as outrageous once you've seen it.  Miranda doesn't come to life as much in the book and Andrea doesn't have the same qualities on paper.  That being said, I did enjoy reading the differences.  There is some added substance to the book that they had to cut out of the movie for whatever reason.  Although after awhile the book started to feel repetitive.  I almost felt like Andrea in thinking what ungodly thing would Miranda ask for next because even I knew it was coming.  I knew the inevitable conclusion, but I founds myself hoping the book would get there sooner.  I would recommend it to those who haven't already seen the movie.

1 comment:

  1. This is on my TBR list, I just haven't read it yet...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails