Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1
Published: August 2009
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 392
ISBN: 9780545123266
Source: Library Book
 

Description: For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

I Give This Book 4 Stars!

I must have missed that memo that stated this book was like Twilight.  I saw it a little (girl likes boy who is not human, the "sleeping" together without the parents knowledge), but after that I don't think the stories compare.  Grace and Sam just clicked.  Aside from the fact that this is a paranormal romance, their relationship is totally believable.  Grace was an interesting voice in the story.  She's someone who tries to make the most of her relationships because her parents are emotionally distant.  Maybe that's what promotes her fascination with the wolves.  She can sense the feeling of family with the pack.  I thought the different take on wolves changing with temperature was great.  I don't think the rules that govern the pack were as developed as much as other stories.  But, maybe that will come with future books.   I did really like Sam's history.  It was a total surprise to me, and think it really defined who he was as a wolf and as a human.  I'm curious to see what it is that makes him a special wolf.  Because, I know it's there.  There didn't seem to be a lot of minor character development.  But, I think that's the point.  The story is about Grace and Sam.  I was surprised at how fast the story seemed to fly by.  I started it one night intending on reading about 50 pages and soon realized I was 100 pages into it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails