Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why


Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Published: October 2007
Pages: 288
ISBN: 9781595141712
Source: Library


Description: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier.   On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.  Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.


I Give This Book 5 Stars!


This book caught my interest from the first time I saw it.  I finally picked it up when I saw it at the library.  Within the first couple pages I was hooked.  They way the author presented this story was so real.  I could feel Clay's emotions as he listened to each of the tapes.  I wanted to reach out to Hannah and tell her that everything was going to be okay.   I've read reviews that state they felt Hannah was placing blame on those 13 people.  I never felt like that through the entire story.  I felt Hannah was trying to point out that a person's actions DO affect others.  Rumors, lies, bullying, etc are all ways that can cut a person down.  I think Hannah hoped that through the tapes, she could make someone (even just one) realize their behavior can change.  I was so raw in emotion towards the end, I needed to step back from the book for awhile and reflect over it.  You know the outcome of the story, but part of you hopes for that glimmer of help.  Something for Hannah to reach out and hold on to.  I hope this book becomes a must read for teens.  I think it has a very real portrayal of suicide and that things that may drive a person to believe that it may be the only option.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book as well! Definitely a modern classic, I think!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails