Thursday, February 25, 2010

Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Magic Under Glass


Title: Magic Under Glass
Author: Jaclyn Dolamore
Published: December 2009
Pages: 225
ISBN: 9781599904306
Source: ARC from Around The World Tours


Description: Nimira is a music-hall performer forced to dance for pennies to an audience of leering drunks. When wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to do a special act - singing accompaniment to an exquisite piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it is the start of a new life. In Parry's world, however, buried secrets stir. Unsettling below-stairs rumours abound about ghosts, a mad woman roaming the halls, and of Parry's involvement in a gang of ruthless sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. When Nimira discovers the spirit of a dashing young fairy gentleman is trapped inside the automaton's stiff limbs, waiting for someone to break the curse and set him free, the two fall in love. But it is a love set against a dreadful race against time to save the entire fairy realm, which is in mortal peril.


I Give This Book 4 Stars!


I'm being a little generous giving this 4 stars.  But, I really do think it's worth your attention.  Nimira catches your attention right from the start.  You can't help but understand her actions.  Parry is interesting as well.  You've never quite understand him (even after his secrets are revealed).  I had a difficult time grasping the concept of falling in love with a fairy trapped in a machine.  It didn't seem real to me until later.  I also think there are some information gaps.  I think that author could have included a little bit more information on the world the characters  lived in and the events that lead up to the story.  I especially would have liked more information concerning the conflict between the faries and the humans.  I just felt like I didn't get enough background information.  The ending also seemed a little pieced together.  Still, the overall product was fun and I enjoyed it. 


* I wanted to point out that there is some controversy surrounding the cover of this book.  Nimira is described as bein dark-skinned (I imagine someone of Arabic decent).  The cover is pictured with a white model (although I still think she has more olive skin tone but this is coming from a redhead with very fair skin).  From what I understand, Bloomsbury has issued a new cover for this book and stopped shipping the old one.  I know copies of this cover are still being sold because I saw it at my local Barnes & Noble just a couple days ago.  I did not realize what a problem this was in the publishing industry (second time in 6 months that Bloomsbury alone has come under fire for this).  I hope in the future, publishing companies will realize that this practice of cover white washing is unacceptable.  This is the new cover




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails