Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)


Title: The Subtle Knife
Author: Philip Pullman
Published: September 2002 (first published in 1997) by Alfred Knopf
Pages: 352
ISBN: 9780375823466

Description: In this stunning sequel to The Golden Compass, the intrepid Lyra finds herself in a shimmering, haunted otherworld --- CittĂ gazze, where soul-eating Specters stalk the streets and wingbeats of distant angels sound against the sky. But she is not without allies: twelve-year-old Will Parry, fleeing for his life after taking another's, has also stumbled into this strange new realm.
On a perilous journey from world to world, Lyra and Will uncover a deadly secret: an object of extraordinary and devastating power. And with every step, they move closer to an even greater threat --- and the shattering truth of their own destiny.


I Give This Book 3.5 Stars!


I liked this book for the most part.  It's extremely imaginative.   Not only did the author create worlds separate from our own, but he makes them seem entirely believable.  My issue is the confusion.  This story is so complex at times, I have no idea what is going on.  I reread passages, and hope for the best.  If I have a hard time understanding (and I consider myself an educated adult), what in the world does the targets audience think?  Do they just skim over the passages that are trying to explain dust, or angels, or spectors (for example).  I applaud Philip Pullman for what he is trying to accomplish with this story, but it just feels like to much.

1 comment:

  1. "If I have a hard time understanding (and I consider myself an educated adult), what in the world does the targets audience think?"

    That's a really good point!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails