Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr & Cindy Kelley

The Silent Gift


Title: The Silent Gift
Author: Michael Landon Jr and Cindy Kelley
Published: October 2009 by Bethany House
Pages: 368
ISBN: 9780764203633


Description: The 1930s were a decade of enormous uncertainty--for the world, for America, and in particular for one lonely, struggling mother and her disabled son. Their story is one of love and enormous sacrifices in the face of circumstances horrendous beyond belief. When her husband leaves her for someone whose time isn't wrapped up in a silent, handicapped kid, Mary and little Luke are out on their own in a world that has no room for the poor and disabled. Especially not at a time when most Americans are simply trying to survive their economic woes and job losses. But then arrives The Gift...where has it come from, and why? How can a young boy who can neither hear nor speak provide comfort, direction, and sometimes challenges to seekers who learn of the special ability? Whatever the source, its presence brings a single shaft of light and hope to Mary and her beloved Luke. Will it be enough?


I Give This Book 4.5 Stars!


I have to say what first drew me to this book was the author.  But, the description sounded interesting as well.  The first chapter draws you in quickly.  I was a little nervous about the religious connections in this book at first, but the story never came across as preachy.  In fact, I ended up really enjoying that aspect of it.  The story is set in the 30's, but it felt very modern most of the time.  I think what I ended up identifying most with was Mary and her actions.  She sacrificed everything for her son.  The book was a refreshing change from the normal books I read.  I couldn't put it down!


* A special thanks to Elliott Wallach from Edify Media for the opportunity to review this book.

1 comment:

  1. Page,
    I loved this book. The ending was wonderful. What a message. Micheal Landon Jr. has done a remarkable job.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails